What to do to keep the generator battery in good condition?Eduarda Mota
In order to guarantee a safe and more economical operation of your generator, you must proceed with its continued maintenance. If care must be taken with the essential components, so it must be with all the other elements, which must be checked frequently.
Most of the failures in starting the generator are related to the battery. The misuse of this component and the lack of maintenance lead to its deterioration and, consequently, to its improper functioning, rendering it incapable of turning the starter motor.
In addition, the battery is especially susceptible to damage, since it is prone to the accumulation of lead sulfates on its plates, eventually breaking down and becoming obsolete.
It is therefore very important to pay attention to this element, checking it carefully and regularly, and taking the necessary maintenance precautions, as described below.
- The battery is charged whenever the engine is running or when a battery charger is connected to the mains. When charged, the battery will generally be between 12.4V to 12.6V volts.
- Whenever we handle a battery, it must be disconnected.
- If the generator has been stopped for a long time and there is no mains to supply the auxiliary battery charger, you must disconnect the battery terminals and / or cut the power, as some components could remain active and lead to complete discharge of the battery.
- High temperatures, misuse and lack of maintenance cause the battery to stop working properly, requiring replacement.
- Maintaining batteries is a very simple process and without great costs.
Maintenance of the generator battery
Check the battery water level
With use, whether the engine is running or stopped (with an auxiliary battery charger to maintain the charge), the liquid level of the battery tends to decrease. A low level of liquid damages the battery, so you should pay attention to this aspect to add distilled water, whenever necessary.
Cleaning and tightening the battery terminals
Operation leads to the creation of gaps between the terminals / poles of the battery, generating oxidation between them. Therefore, it is advisable to keep them very tight and clean, and to put vaseline or a protection product against oxidation.
Check the voltage
You should make a test, regularly, in which you connect the positive and negative poles to a multimeter in the DC voltage position. The result cannot be less than 12V, because, if it is, the battery will not be able to supply the DC electrical part of the generator and, eventually, it will not even be able to give power to the starter to put it to work. In this case, the best thing to do is to replace the battery.
Start the generator frequently
Having the generator down for too long is harmful to the battery. You should start the generator periodically.